Translate

TOURIST COMMENTS

SHWEDAGON PAGODA












“The most incredible place on the planet, the SHWEDAGON PAGODA...”
I will always remember that one unique place I went in my tour organized by World Heritage Network. It’s the Shwedagon Pagoda. Thanks to my guide who had introduced this remarkable place to me. The first time I went to Shwedagon Pagoda, the light and sounds were so, so magical I forgot my guide was with me and walked slowly, mesmerized by the sound of the tinkling metal at the top of the pagoda, the intricately carved wooden temple structures, and gold - gold, so brilliant and radiant, surely more profoundly beautiful under overcast skies...so bright, and the brightness tempered only by the beautiful matt white plastered surfaces of architectural elements and the many polychromed images of Buddha that seemed to have been patiently waiting in the niches just for me...nothing can compare...even when I found myself circumnavigating barefoot in the pouring rain on very slippery surfaces...from those moments there was simply no doubt Shwedagon is one of the special places on the planet. With great hotel stay and comfortable private transport coupled with a friendly and patience guide, the network had made my trip to Yangon so  memorable.  It is highly recommended to get a guide and join a tour that completes everything.  Just email them: worldheritage101@yahoo.com and they will arrange everything for you.  Also check out their popular 4D3N tour itinerary in their website:  www.whnmyanmar.blogspot.com. Definitely, it will help you plan your trip to Yangon exploring several other interesting places too.
....Commented by Cyntia Yow, Subang Jaya, Malaysia




 “Probably the most spectacular stupa I've ever seen in my life!!!”
Shwedagon is probably the most symbolic and iconic places in the whole country and an ABSOLUTE must see if one goes to Myanmar..period! Depending where one is residing while in the city, the best way to get there is to engage a tour that provides transport and guide. We engaged World Heritage Network and they did just that. With our local friendly english speaking guide, we have great fun understanding the history of this place. I also think that the place is not complete without going back a second time for some night shots. With the aid of my guide, I returned in the evening to take more pictures and seeing it all lit up (and silhouetted by the moon) made it even more worthwhile. If you are looking for very patience guide and a tour that provides to your liking, do email them: worldheritage101@yahoo.com  or check out their website:www.whnmyanmar.blogspot.com  From there, I realized that for Shwedagon, it's without a doubt the biggest platform and largest amount of smaller pagodas I've ever witnessed ever before since living here in Southeast Asia. Gold gold gold everywhere and the coolest part was the architecture of the pagodas and the carved "curtain edging" (as I called it), that was so frequent around the columns of the pagodas. Also, there were so many different styles of pagodas, some tiered, some curvilinear and followed a more Indian style, and some more bell shaped. According to my guide, I think it would be worth it to mention that the earlier you get there, the better. Getting there when I did, (around late morning) it was not long after that, that the platform (the main area that you walk around), gets VERY hot in the sun and found myself trying to take shots while not standing on the hot ground for very long.
The great thing is that all around the platform there are water bubblers that emit nice cold water to drink! It's free and certainly nice to have in the time spent there and having to brave the heat. One thing I did (since I believe one is not allowed to bring drinks in..I could be wrong though), is bring a small water bottle and just pocket it. That way as you're walking around the pagoda, you can refill your bottle anytime and keep yourself refreshed. Just an awesome awesome place to see and will never forget it. Thank you also once again for my ever friendly guide who made my visit there unforgettable too!
....Commented by Phillip Matthews, Toronto, Canada






“Shwedagon is a cultural wonder of Asia!”
If you can visit just one pagoda in Southeast Asia, Shwedagon in Yangon would be the best choice. I have traveled to 100+ countries and have seen hundreds of pagodas, but Shwedagon always blows me away and has me saying "Wow.....wow...." whenever I visit. Through this website:www.whnmyanmar.blogspot.com  I have gone with a guided group organized by World Heritage Network under this email add: worldheritage101@yahoo.com and it was an incredible journey of a life time. The information from the guide was good and made me feel so attached  to the richness of Shwedagon.  Do visit in the late afternoon and see it after sunset when the lights come on. Overall it was an awesome tour and I like to thank you the network for making it so wonderful and memorable for my trip in Yangon.

...Commented by Runi Triyani, Jakarta, Indonesia